University of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
Department: Office of Communications
Job Title: Strategic Communications Specialist
Position #788649 – Requisition #22858
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Who We Are:
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleled patient care. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The Office of Communications has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Strategic Communications Specialist position.
The Strategic Communications Specialist is a newly created position that will contribute to the University’s core mission. This skilled communicator is passionate about leveraging technology to serve internal and external customers and to drive positive organizational change. Specifically, the individual in this position works strategically and collaboratively to advance the success of the eComm program at CU Anschutz by coaching, supporting, and empowering a growing campus user base of email marketers and event managers. This digital impresario will become a technical expert on Salesforce, Marketing Cloud, and Cvent applications and will provide their counsel and expertise to campus stakeholders. This individual will also be a valued thought partner to a dynamic team and will work with different colleagues to develop innovative, data-driven solutions to a range of practical problems. Most importantly, the Strategic Communications Specialist will approach their craft with a positive attitude, a collaborative spirit, a growth mind-set — and a sense of humor!
This position reports to the Strategic Communications Manager in the Office of Communications, and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
The eComm program, housed in University Information System at the CU System Office, seeks to provide an efficient and robust set of Salesforce-focused applications to effectively engage constituents across all four CU Campuses (Anschutz Medical Campus, Boulder, Colorado Springs, and Denver), the CU System Office, and CU Advancement. Learn more at www.cu.edu/ecomm .
Examples of Work Performed:
eComm Program – Technical Expert (20%)
- Serves as the CU Anschutz technical lead for Salesforce, Marketing Cloud, and Cvent applications in the CU eComm program. Provides tactical and operational expertise to program users and campus stakeholders.
- Develops current and detailed understanding of all aspects of the eComm program, including applications, users, business requirements, programmatic goals and objectives, and the role that eComm plays in the broader CU CRM enterprise strategy.
- Collaborates with the CU System Office and other CU eComm campus specialists to develop program governance and facilitate program success, including attendance and participation in regularly scheduled meetings and groups, sharing of best practices, creation of pilot programs, etc.
- Understands FERPA, HIPAA, CAN-SPAM, and other relevant federal and state legislation and university policies. Confident in applying and enforcing these guidelines in daily work and with program users.
eComm Program – User Support (50%)
- Provides tactical and operational assistance on Salesforce, Marketing Cloud, and Cvent applications to approximately 65 campus eComm users, in partnership with the Strategic Communications Manager and the Communications Coordinator.
- Conducts discovery sessions with prospective eComm users to identify business requirements and facilitates new user provisioning and onboarding.
- Provides tier 1 user support that addresses any aspect of the use of eComm applications (Salesforce, Marketing Cloud, Cvent). When issue is not resolvable, follows programmatic process to submit, manage, and track escalating tickets.
- Intakes and services user requests while providing timely responses and updates on request completion timeline. With guidance from supervisor, independently manages high-volume, high-impact workflow.
- Creates audience reports and/or campaigns for Marketing Cloud emails sends, which may involve processing and investigating data contained in non-source system lists. Coaches users on email marketing best practices, such as email design and layouts, information hierarchy, and data-driven content.
- Reviews and approves events in Cvent to ensure correct integration settings, campus brand standards, and financial configurations. Coaches users on event promotion and registration best practices.
- Opportunities to work on analytics, data visualization, and dashboards, especially in the Tableau application.
- Committed to customer service and provides prompt, accurate, courteous and accountable support for all user inquiries and requests.
Office of Communications – Technical Support (25%)
- Works with internal stakeholders to build Salesforce campaigns/reports, create and send Marketing Cloud emails, and design and manage Cvent websites and forms as determined.
- Collaborates with internal partners across executive, content, design, and multimedia functions.
- Limited other duties as determined by supervisor and office needs.
- Very limited after hours or weekend support as needed.
eComm Program – Training and Development (5%)
- Works with the CU System Office and Strategic Communications Manager to provide initial training, ongoing technical assistance, and skill development to program users with different backgrounds, motivations, and abilities.
- Works with the CU System Office and Strategic Communications Manager to compile and generate content for regular newsletter to program users and stakeholders.
- Works with Strategic Communications Manager to create and manage formal and informal user groups and communities of learning.
- Creates documentation on program structure, governance, and best practices.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Salary and Benefits:
- The salary range (or hiring range) for this position has been established at $55,000 to $65,000
- The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
- The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
- This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
- Here is a link to an overview of the benefits package
- Here is a link to a Total Compensation Calculator
Diversity and Equity:
- The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at email@example.com
- The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education, or equivalent professional experience (professional experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis).
- Two years of experience in a communications support or digital marketing position or similar role.
- Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.
- Academic and/or professional background in communications, marketing, design, database administration, information technology, or organizational management.
- More than 2 years experience in a communications support or digital marketing position or similar role.
- Experience with email marketing applications in general, and Salesforce and Marketing Cloud in particular. Active Marketing Cloud Email Specialist certification or willingness to obtain within the first three months of employment.
- Experience with event registration/management applications in general, and Cvent in particular. Active Cvent Event Specialist certification or willingness to obtain within the first six months of employment.
- Familiarity, experience, and mastery of other applications that may be used in the eComm program — including Trello, Slack, Outlook, Google, Apsona, Pardot, Tableau, Canva, Adobe, and Hubspot — is a plus.
- Professional experience in higher education, research, or health care industries is a plus.
- Ability to learn and apply new technologies, especially in an organizational setting.
- Knowledge of digital and email marketing best practices.
- Knowledge of data and database support.
- Knowledge of event website and registration best practices.
- Ability to troubleshoot issues within applications.
- Ability to support multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize competing demands and stakeholders, and produce high-quality work on deadline.
- Strong project management skills including organization, attention to detail, conflict resolution, and a team-player mentality.
- Collaboration skills, including the ability to work with others from different areas and backgrounds to reach a common goal.
- Knowledge of business intelligence tools, principles, and best practices.
- Research skills, including the ability to utilize a variety of tools to ask questions, gather information, and review, analyze, and interpret data.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to examine and summarize data and trends in order to resolve issues and produce results.
- Creative skills, including the ability to ask questions, generate new ideas, experiment, make observations, and develop connections between disparate concepts.
- Evaluative skills, including the ability to assess information for reliability, validity, and relevance.
- Critical thinking skills, including the ability to identify problems, questions, and assumptions; establish significance; and understand logical connections between ideas.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to translate and explain technical concepts and vocabulary in common terms to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work with confidential data and handle sensitive projects with discretion.
- A positive attitude, collaborative spirit, growth mind-set, and sense of humor are a must.
Conditions of Employment:
- The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at: https://www.cu.edu/vaccine-requirement
Special Instructions to Applicants : Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current resume or CV 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Application Materials Required : Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References Application Materials Instructions : Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. This posting will remain open until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to completed submissions received by October 1st, 2021. Submissions received after this date may or may not be reviewed.
Job Category: Communication
Department:U0001 — DENVER & ANSCHUTZ MED CAMPUS – Office of Communications
Posting Date: Sep 17, 2021
Closing Date: Ongoing
Contact Name:Kiley Kudrna
Posting Number: 00788649
To apply for this job please visit cu.taleo.net.