JOB OPENING ID: 205501
ORGANIZATIONAL GROUP: College Of Lsa
DEPARTMENT: LSA MLB Thayer Events & Comm
SALARY: $39,000.00 – $48,750.00
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
This position will provide event planning and graphic design support to the departments of Asian Languages & Cultures, Germanic Languages & Literatures, Middle East Studies, Romance Languages & Literatures, Slavic Languages & Literatures and the Humanities Collaboratory. This position will be part of a team that supports the previously named units which are located in the Modern Languages Building (MLB) and South Thayer Building (STB). The position will report to three Chief Administrators. Occasional weekend and evening work may be required in support of events.This is a non-exempt position.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future.
Graphic Design – 45%
- Partner with event sponsors (primarily faculty) to design posters, flyers, digital signage, event programs, itineraries and other required materials in support of events organized and sponsored by the units supported by the MLB Thayer Events and Communication Team.
- Design logos for events and department use.
- Plan layout and content of departmental newsletters in collaboration with faculty, staff, and unit administrators; solicit content ideas and articles. Coordinate mailing.
- Coordinate printing of all designed materials, ensure quality of final products, and pass to departmental staff for final distribution.
- Develop relationships with faculty, graduate students and staff in order to develop and enhance the content of publicity materials by understanding the Departments’ audiences.
- Serve as an active participant in publicity planning.
Event Planning and Support – 45%
- Organize and coordinate virtual event logistics including Zoom meeting set-up.
- Organize and coordinate in-person event logistics for departmental receptions, seminars, colloquia and lectures including, but not limited to, catering, venues, audio/visual and IT needs, travel, and honorarium payments. Utilize internal tracking mechanisms in order to ensure all team members are aware of the status of events. Be present, or ensure coverage, distribute materials as needed at events to manage all event details. Communicate with organizers and invited guests regarding event logistics.
- Set up events and coordinate break-down of events.
- Develop budgets in collaboration with CA/faculty organizers, track expenses, and maintain budget spreadsheets.
- Take or coordinate taking of pictures at departmental events for historical purposes and use in newsletters or on websites.
Website and Social Media Support – 10%
- Support for other staff on the MLB-Thayer Events Communication team including website and social media support.
Other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree in graphic design or at least 2 years experience using Adobe Creative Cloud to design visual and digital products for business/educational purposes..
- 1-2 years prior experience coordinating events
- An eye for creative designs to enhance the work and missions of partner departments.
- A high level of proficiency in InDesign and Photoshop.
- Experience with Zoom, Google, and Microsoft Office suites of products.
- Self-starter able to work with limited direction
- Extremely high attention to detail.
- Previous experience editing and proofreading copy for public dissemination.
- The ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with multiple and, sometimes, conflicting priorities.
- Proven ability and willingness to work with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team, fostering positive relationships and communication.
- High level of oral and written communication skills.
- The person in this position must have the ability to easily move across campus moving a cart of equipment, food, or other items needed for setting up an event. Ability to move a cart weighing up to 50 pounds is required as well as the ability to move 10-15 pounds of such items if needed. The chosen candidate must have the ability to physically set up and tear down for events including moving and arranging tables, chairs, and mobile equipment. This position requires the ability to move materials weighing up to 25 pounds to a height of 3-4 feet and set them on tables, carts, or other surfaces.
- The person in this position frequently communicates with individuals for whom English is not their first language; he or she must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Ability to navigate the complex scenarios that often arise when working for multiple units and supervisors.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or at least three years of experience designing visual and digital products for business and/or educational purposes utilizing Adobe Creative Cloud products.
- Two or more years experience working in a higher education setting.
- Two or more years experience planning events in a higher education or corporate setting.
Please Note : This position is 100% (40 hrs per week), 44 weeks per year and 80% (32 hrs per week) eight weeks per year (June and July). This position works a hybrid schedule of remote and in-person days. Flexibility is required in order to be present on campus as needed to complete job responsibilities.
Short-listed candidates will be asked to provide samples of their work as part of the application process.The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitments to serve the diverse people of Michigan, fulfill the College’s Guiding Principles, and sustain the excellence of LSA. To learn more about diversity, equity, and inclusion visit https://lsa.umich.edu/lsa/dei.htmlTo learn more about LSA’s Guiding Principles visit http://lsa.umich.edu/lsa/faculty-staff/human-resources/lsa-staff-guiding-principles.html
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.’
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.
The University of Michigan is a non-discriminatory/affirmative action employer.
To apply for this job please visit careers.umich.edu.