Requisition Number: PRN28524B
FLSA Code: Administrative
Patient Sensitive Job Code?: No
Standard Hours per Week: 40
Full Time or Part Time?: Full Time
Work Schedule Summary: M-F, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., some evening weekend hours for special events
VP Area: President
Department: 02128 – Chief Safety Officer
City: Salt Lake City, UT
Pay Rate Range: 47,600 – 70,000
Open Until Filled: No
About University Safety
Safety is a top priority for the University of Utah. The Chief Safety Officer is responsible for the oversight and coordination of all campus safety initiatives, as well as overseeing the University Safety Department, which includes a central administrative Office of the CSO, as well as public safety operational divisions, which include University Police, Campus Security, U Health Security, Emergency Management, Community Services, and Emergency Communications.
Safety looks and feels different to each person, and the U Safety Department is committed to working with the community to foster a safe environment where all individuals feel empowered and equipped to succeed in their work, education, and other business with the university. As such, it is important that all staff stay aware of, and demonstrate support for, issues related to safety, equity, diversity, and inclusion, both locally and nationally.
More at safety.utah.edu.
Under minimal supervision, the PR/Communications Manager is responsible for planning, organizing, directing and/or controlling all aspects pertaining to public relations and communications functions of the University of Utah Safety Department’s internal and external customer service, staffing, and financial management operations pertaining to areas including (but not limited to) promotions, publishing, circulation, news releases, scripting and speech writing, relationship building, and general University representation. Acts as a catalyst between the department and its customers and staff to ensure continuity and quality of service and care.
The person in this position will perform various tasks related to writing, design, editorial planning, social media strategy, website management, media relationships, and project management while using good judgment. This position requires strong interpersonal skills and will work collaboratively with personnel within the University Safety Department, as well as with communications and marketing professionals across the university, including designers, videographers, photographers, social media and web personnel, writers, etc.
- Develops and executes strategic communications plans that align with the department’s priorities
- Monitors media inquiries and coordinates the response with the department’s leadership and relevant campus partners
- Pitches stories to local media in coordination with the university’s central Communications Office and Health Sciences Communications Office
- Develops an editorial calendar in conjunction with department partners to support and amplify safety initiatives, incorporating issues of diversity and keeping abreast with relevant issues both locally and nationally
- Maintains the University of Utah Safety Department website, SafeU.utah.edu, and the sites for the department’s operational divisions (University Police, Campus Security, U Health Security, Emergency Management, Emergency Communications, and Community Services)
- Writes and edits content for the department’s blog, internal email newsletter, social media accounts (@UofUSafety on Facebook and Instagram and @UofUPolice on Twitter) and annual report
- Provides executive communication support, including presentations, social media, statements, etc.
- Manages student interns who help to create multimedia content (images, videos, graphics, etc.), attend events, and maintain inventory of promotional items
- Responsible for monitoring effectiveness of communication tactics and adjusting communication plans as necessary
- Proofreads all communications and monitors media, including social media
- Develops and adheres to project timelines, ensuring that distributed materials are accurate and timely
- Participates in University-wide committees to establish customer service standards and administrative processes
- Facilitates cooperative and collaborative community and institutional relationships while analyzing complaints, concerns, and suggestions to provide appropriate follow-through
- Ensures competency of staff through the development and/or presentation of education programs and through ongoing staff performance evaluations
- May perform other related technical duties as assigned
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in a related area of assignment or equivalency (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education). Four to six years of progressively more responsible management experience. Background knowledge of assigned department’s area of specialization in order to analyze, plan and draw conclusions for recommendations to superiors. Demonstrated leadership skills in planning and directing employees and processes in order to effectively monitor and develop subordinates and to ensure the smooth operation of department.
Master’s degree in a related area may be preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Background knowledge to analyze, plan and draw conclusions for recommendations to superiors.
Applicants with a master’s degree in a related area and familiarity with public safety and crisis communications may be preferred.
Type: Benefited Staff
The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in settings with students from diverse backgrounds and possess a strong commitment to improving access to higher education for historically underrepresented students.
Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or protected veteran’s status. The University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the education program or activity that it operates, as required by Title IX and 34 CFR part 106. The requirement not to discriminate in education programs or activities extends to admission and employment. Inquiries about the application of Title IX and its regulations may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, to the Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, or both.
To request a reasonable accommodation for a disability or if you or someone you know has experienced discrimination or sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, you may contact the Director/Title IX Coordinator in the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action:
Director/ Title IX Coordinator
Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (OEO/AA)
135 Park Building
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Online reports may be submitted at oeo.utah.edu
For more information: https://www.utah.edu/nondiscrimination/
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
To apply for this job please visit utah.peopleadmin.com.