Harvard Law School
The Associate Director for Development Marketing and Communications is responsible for overseeing communications and marketing for Development and Alumni Relations at Harvard Law School. This role will plan, produce, and deliver a selection of content in alignment with the Law School’s mission and core priorities, and in support of donor and alumni engagement activities. By integrating multiple mediums and content types including print, web, email, and video, the Associate Director will be responsible for project management, content development, website management, and direct response marketing. Reporting to the Director of Donor Relations, the Associate Director is an integral member of a strategic Donor Relations team and will manage one direct report.
As Associate Director, you will:
- Oversee and provide strategic direction in support of HLS fundraising efforts, to include direct marketing appeals; engagement messaging; gift opportunities collateral; event communications and marketing; newsletters; and other communications as needed.
- Develop and write targeted email messages for alumni and donor audiences for all Alumni Center departments and for the Dean of Development.
- Oversee all email blasts to HLS alumni (200+ emails annually, up to more than 30,000 alumni per email), including those from other HLS centers, departments, and offices, giving final reviews and signoffs to ensure quality, accuracy, and consistency of each email.
- Collaborate with the HLS Annual Team to plan and execute Direct Response Marketing (DRM) efforts, with the goals of increasing engagement and participation at all levels; using data to inform engagement strategies; and coordinate messaging.
- Develop deep content knowledge on a range of School programs and fundraising priorities, conveying the impact of philanthropy to a variety of audiences through multi-channel communications campaigns. Communicate complex issues in a clear and compelling manner, using persuasive language and visuals to make the case for support.
- Oversee website content, working closely with HLSAC staff and the Office of Communications. Help formulate strategies and execute on plans for future enhancements.
- Develop standards and implement processes to monitor and analyze the effectiveness of communications efforts. Identify key performance metrics and conduct data analysis and reporting to refine targeting marketing efforts. Keeps senior management abreast of performance. Seek out and implement new ways to enhance Alumni Center marketing and communications. Create monthly analytics reports of existing digital strategies, evaluating key performance indicators, with a point of view and actionable recommendations.
- Partner closely with the HLS Office of Communications to enhance and share institutional messaging with alumni.
- Manage external business partners to direct and deliver projects on time and on budget. This may include contract negotiation, daily project management, and analysis of engagement recommendations and implementation of recommendations.
- Performs other duties as required.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. 7 or more years of experience in journalism, communications, marketing or related field.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
We are looking for people who:
- Have experience overseeing and developing communications plans and integrated messaging strategies. Experience working within higher ed development preferred, but not required.
- Demonstrate an ability to project manage, including contributing to the design of and implementing segment specific marketing plans, project schedules and budgets for existing and new programs.
- Employ effective communication skills, the ability to write concisely and effectively, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and external vendors. Able to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Have proficiency with both PC and MAC. Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Project, and HTML highly desired. Willingness and ability to learn these programs required.
- Have a demonstrated understanding of how to utilize interactive media for marketing communications purposes.
- Have knowledge of marketing research and analytics, including digital strategies, tools, and tactics for email marketing, web analytics, Google Analytics, information architecture, and content management systems
- Have strong organizational skills and attention to detail, along with an ability to think critically, oversee complex projects, and balance concurrent priorities. A collaborative self-starter who is an active listener and confident decision-maker.
- Have a commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
While the position is based on campus in Cambridge, MA, this role has the opportunity for a hybrid work arrangement, subject to business need and manager review/approval.
Must be willing to work some evenings and weekends as required.
We regret that Harvard Law School is unable to provide visa sponsorship for staff positions.
All offers to be made by HLS Human Resources.
Be a part of excellence and leadership in legal education and scholarship at Harvard Law School. We are a community of talented people from diverse backgrounds, lived experiences, and perspectives, dedicated to advancing the cause of justice all over the world. We value our differences and our diversity as a source of strength. We are committed to developing and inspiring our students and our workforce. Whoever you are, whatever you do, however you do it, Harvard Law School is a place where you can thrive.
Alumni Affairs and Development, Communications
USA – MA – Cambridge
CM0858 Communications Management III
Alumni Center – Donor Relations and Development Communications
00 – Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit sjobs.brassring.com.