The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America’s Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn’s vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Sr. Director, Social and Digital Media – Wharton Marketing and Communications Department
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
Responsible for creating, developing, implementing, and managing a centralized social and digital media strategy for Wharton while overseeing, measuring, and reporting on the School’s online activity and growth. Lead and oversee planning and execution of paid, owned, and earned social and digital marketing campaigns. Responsible for promoting the Wharton brand, driving revenue through academic program recruitment, business community engagement, alumni fundraising, and expanding Wharton’s reach to new audiences. Oversee Wharton’s flagship social media channels.
Reporting to the Wharton Chief Marketing and Communications Officer (CMCO), the Sr. Director, Wharton Social and Digital Media (member of the Wharton Marketing and Communications Department – MarComm), is responsible for creating, developing, implementing, and managing a centralized social and digital media strategy for Wharton while overseeing, measuring, and reporting on the School’s online activity and growth. Lead and oversee planning and execution of paid, owned, and earned social and digital marketing campaigns. Responsible for promoting the Wharton brand, driving revenue through academic program recruitment, business community engagement, alumni fundraising, and expanding Wharton’s reach to new audiences. Oversee Wharton’s flagship social media channels.
As a member of the MarComm leadership team, work closely with the CMCO and the Wharton Dean’s Office to execute the Dean’s strategic vision. Responsible for understanding the Dean’s voice, priorities, and audience; writing and publishing the Dean’s Twitter and LinkedIn posts and managing all analytics for the accounts (totaling nearly 200K followers in first year of deanship). In partnership with the Dean’s Office, play a key role in management of the Dean’s public persona and external engagement. media team and social media.
Responsible for crisis management as related to time sensitive communication via Wharton’s social media channels. Disseminate crisis information for Wharton’s social media channels; serve as the social media point person to the University during a crisis, suspension of operations, etc.; work closely with the University to provide consistent messaging, timing/release of message, branding, accuracy of message, etc., coordinate with CMCO and the Dean/Deputy Dean’s Office.
Manage and mentor no fewer than four staff members and a team of student workers. Interface with faculty, staff, and students across Wharton’s academic programs, research centers, initiatives, External Affairs, and IT to ensure that best practices are utilized and that there is consistent messaging, branding, and accuracy across the Wharton social media channels.
Partner with agencies, vendors, and independent contractors. Responsible for identifying, securing, and managing appropriate outside agencies and vendors for support of social media needs and projects. Responsible for a unit budget of approximately $200,000 and manage funds and university/school resources appropriately and in line with University and School guidelines, policies, and processes.
Support high-profile institutional events, including four east coast graduations and one west coast graduation, MBA Convocation, two-three annual Global Forums, the Dean’s Tarnopol Lecture, the Wharton Business Journalist Seminars, various student and faculty led conference.
Bachelor’s Degree required
7+ years work experience, with 5+ years focus on social media, marketing, communications, and/OR PR; Higher Education experience preferred
Candidate must possess strong leadership skills, ability to take initiative, exercise good judgement and make sound decisions in a fast-paced environment.
Must have ability to manage high level crisis communications that are both unpredictable and time sensitive.
Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
Must maintain confidentiality.
Required to work independently with ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects and situations simultaneously and with diplomacy and grace.
Proficiency in social media management. Excellent verbal, written, listening, editing, research and presentation skills.
Expert level experience with social communications platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+, Snapchat, blog search engines, and social media monitoring tools.
Occasional travel and evening/weekend hours required. Staff, as needed, institutional events such as MBA Convocation, five graduation ceremonies, speaker series events, etc.
Job Location – City, State
Department / School
$88,861.00 – $168,837.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family’s health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn’s exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn’s Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with familywhatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you’re newly hired, you won’t have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That’s why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University’s libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There’s always something going on at Penn, whether it’s a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you’re right in the middle of the excitementand you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you’ll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennH R/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/SteinbergDietrich-Hall/Sr-Direc tor–Social-and-Digital-Media—Wharton-Marketing-and-Communications-Department_JR00044140
To apply for this job please visit wd1.myworkdaysite.com.