Website Emory University
Discover Your Career at Emory University
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
As Senior Creative Director in Communications and Marketing, leads the visual design team and shapes the creative direction of the university’s brand identity.
- Plays a vital role in developing and maintaining a cohesive visual identity that aligns with Emory’s mission, vision, values, and strategic framework.
- Leads and manages the visual design team including providing guidance, mentorship, and support to a team of designers to ensure the delivery of high-quality work.
- Leads by example as a thought leader who can help set a high bar and inspire others for what creative success looks like.
- Sets and maintains the creative vision for Communications and Marketing including establishing and communicating a clear creative direction that aligns with Emory’s brand guidelines ensuring consistency across all visual assets including advertising, digital, print, social media, and other communications channels.
- Collaborates with stakeholders internal to C&M, within the wider university, and with external agencies.
- Conceptualizes and oversees design projects by leading ideation and execution of innovative and impactful design projects ranging from marketing campaigns, digital publications and print publications.
- Determines appropriate assignments for creative team members and manages team bandwidth to ensure timeline delivery of priority projects.
- Develops, executes, monitors, and adjusts project plans, resources, and strategies to meet the needs of stakeholders and to ensure the deliverables are on time, and within budget.
- Establishes and maintains vendor relationships (production, freelancers) to manage expectations (e.g., high level of service, accountability, etc.) to provide timely feedback and to maximize cost efficiency, quality, timeliness, and responsiveness in a manner that best supports the organization’s initiatives.
- Stays updated on industry trends in higher education including the latest design trends, techniques, and best practices in the field of visual design and high education marketing. Assures all designs meet the highest standards of quality, accuracy, and brand consistency.
- Fosters a collaborative and creative environment through encouraging a culture of creativity, collaboration, and continuous improvement.
- Recognizes initiative, innovation, and work well done to create a positive work environment of excellence.
- Serves as point of contact for addressing concerns to maintain a positive work environment by resolving issues and discrepancies in a professional, timely, and courteous manner.
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Visual Communications or a related field and six years of creative design, creative leadership or related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Art Direction/Design background is essential.
- Strong Portfolio highlighting exceptional skills in visual design and a demonstrated ability to lead and inspire a design team.
- Proficient with industry standard design software and tools such as Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.) and with Microsoft Office Suite.
- An excellent understanding of design principles, typography, color theory, and user-centered design principles.
- Strong project management and organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A passion for education, creativity, and innovation, with a keen eye for detail.
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including senior management, stakeholders, other departments, etc.
NOTE: This role will be granted the opportunity to work from home regularly but must be able to commute to Emory University on a flexible weekly schedule based upon business needs. Schedule is based on agreed upon guidelines of department of work. Emory reserves the right to change remote work status with notice to employee.
Emory Supports a Diverse and Inclusive Culture
Emory University is dedicated to providing equal opportunities and equal access to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and veteran’s status. Emory University does not discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment on the basis of any factor stated above or prohibited under applicable law. Students, faculty, and staff are assured of participation in University programs and in the use of facilities without such discrimination. Emory University complies with Executive Order 11246, as amended, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veteran’s Readjustment Assistance Act, and applicable executive orders, federal and state regulations regarding nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Emory University is committed to achieving a diverse workforce through application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training. Inquiries regarding this policy should be directed to the Emory University Department of Equity and Inclusion, 201 Dowman Drive, Administration Building, Atlanta, GA 30322.
Emory University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact the Department of Accessibility Services at 404-727-9877 (V) | 404-712-2049 (TDD). Please note that one week advance notice is preferred.
To apply for this job please visit staff-emory.icims.com.