University of Colorado | CU Denver
Director of Multicultural Marketing and DEI Communications
Position #00789085- Requisition #22811
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at:
CU Denver: https://www.ucdenver.edu/coronavirus
Exemptions vary by campus location/department.
Exemptions for CU Denver are allowed for medical, religious, or personal reasons.
The University of Colorado Denver seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
CU Denver University Communications has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Director of Multicultural Marketing and DEI Communications position.
In the heart of downtown Denver, CU Denver combines innovative research and accessible education with the advantages that only a dynamic urban environment can provide. On our campus where all are welcome, we offer the quality education that the University of Colorado is known for at an exceptional value. For nearly 50 years, we have helped 100,000+ graduates achieve their goals.
University Communications advances the mission of the university, as well as its reputation and identity as a leading academic and research institution.
The Director of Multicultural and DEI Communications and Marketing will create and execute strategic plans and multimedia campaigns (paid, owned, earned) that articulate CU Denver’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and promote initiatives and programs in support of the university’s goal to become the nation’s first equity-serving institution- including student and employee recruitment and retention. This role serves across functional areas and will provide in-depth subject matter expertise of diversity, equity, and inclusion best practices.
Position reports to the AVC of Marketing with dotted lines to Vice Chancellor for DEI and Chief of External Initiatives, HSI Engagement.
Other key working relationships include Vice Chancellor for University Communications; Managing Director of Partnerships; Director of Executive Communications; Chairs of the Equity Task Force; Chancellor’s Faculty Fellow; Center for Identity and Inclusion; Disability Resources & Services; Institutional Research; Human Resources; and Chief Diversity Officer, CU System.
This position will not supervise other staff at this time.
Examples of Communications Responsibilities:
- Provide thought leadership and perspective on embedding an accessible, inclusive, and culturally relevant approach to cross-university communications and marketing initiatives, including authentic representation, storytelling, and language.
- Advise on content across all mediums to make sure it is culturally responsive, accurate, authentic, inclusive, devoid of stereotypes and tropes, as well as accessible to people with disabilities.
- Serve as consultant and advisor on DEI communications and public relations matters, including the public relations implications of institutional DEI positions and decisions, initiatives, and programs.
- Serve as the lead advisor on all critical communications coming out of the Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and from the Chief of External Initiatives, HSI Engagement.
- Write the speeches, scripts, written communiques, letters, talking points, web copy, and presentations for the Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and Chief of External Initiatives, HSI Engagement and other leaders, as needed.
- Prepare, edit, and/or review talking points, advisories, op-eds, memos, scripts, web content, reports, brochures, social media content, advertising, and other written and visual information and material that communicate and promote DEI initiatives and programs.
- Assess multilingual needs across the campus and drive the collaborative development of communications and marketing tools used to promote key initiatives and programs, including employee and student recruitment.
- Serve as a media spokesperson, as needed and appropriate, for Spanish-language news media.
Examples of Marketing Responsibilities:
- Craft, implement, and measure agile short-term and long-term communication and marketing plans and campaigns to roll out new DEI initiatives and programs, including CU Denver’s equity-serving institution market position and HSI and AANAPISI designations.
- Leverage industry best practices to challenge conventional thinking and provide new and innovative approaches to reaching diverse audiences.
- Serve as multicultural and DEI subject matter expert to vendors, including branding, creative, media strategy, and demand/lead generation service providers, among others, to ensure segmentation, creative, and engagement channels are appropriate to reach target audiences.
- Manage research and data across the DEI landscape in collaboration with Institutional Research to provide insights for content creation, plans, campaigns, and key initiatives.
- Research local, regional, and national DEI awards, conferences, sponsorships, and executive visibility programs and make recommendations for key opportunities that bolster the university’s goal to become the nation’s first equity-serving institution.
- Assist and support university leaders in furthering workplace culture initiatives.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range (or hiring range) for this position has been established at $86,141 to $109,571.
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125
Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at email@example.com.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- 7 years of professional experience in a combination of communications, journalism, writing, marketing, or related field.
- Experience in multicultural and/or diversity, equity, and inclusion communications and/or marketing.
Required: Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.
Conditions of Employment: Must be willing and able to speak, read, and write in English & Spanish with fluency.
- 10+ years of professional experience in a combination of communications, journalism, writing, marketing, or related field.
- 5+ years of multicultural and/or diversity, equity, and inclusion communications and/or marketing experience.
- Experience working directly with people of diverse identities and backgrounds: race, ethnicity, socioeconomic, gender, disabilities, age, etc.
- Experience working with and building relationships with cross-functional leaders.
- Experience working in a matrixed environment.
- Experience managing direct and indirect reports.
Special Instructions to Applicants : Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Application Materials Required : Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References Application Materials Instructions : Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by October 3, 2021. Those who do not apply by this date may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Communication
Department: U0001 — DENVER & ANSCHUTZ MED CAMPUS – 30002 – ADM VC Comm Denver
Posting Date: Sep 20, 2021
Closing Date: Ongoing
Contact Name: Ali Medina
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting Number: 00789085
To apply for this job please visit cu.taleo.net.