Texas A&M University
Dean Of Veterinary Medicine
Proposed Minimum Salary
College Station, Texas
Texas A&M University is committed to enriching the learning and working environment for all visitors, students, faculty, and staff by promoting a culture that embraces inclusion, diversity, equity, and accountability. Diverse perspectives, talents, and identities are vital to accomplishing our mission and living our core values.
Who we are
Welcome to the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences (CVM). From the over 550 students in our DVM program, to the 2,355 students in our dynamic Biomedical Science Undergraduate Program, to the 150 outstanding graduate students involved in quality research projects throughout the college, we’re engaged in preparing our students to meet the public and animal health needs of the 21st century and beyond. We’re proud of our college, our facilities and our programs, but it’s the people that make it all work-we’re enormously proud of our faculty, staff, and students.
What we want
The Assistant Director provides comprehensive back-up support for College of Veterinary Medicine Director of Communications & Public Relations in task of handling public relations matters for the college. The selected candidate will subscribe to and support our commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability as stated above. If this job description sounds interesting to you, we invite you to apply to be considered for this opportunity.
What you need to know
Salary: Compensation will be commensurate to selected hire’s experience.
Cover Letter/Resume’: A cover letter and resume’ are strongly recommended.
COVID-19 information: Texas A&M University monitors local, state and federally mandated health guidelines to keep students, employees, prospective employees, and visitors as safe as possible. For the latest information regarding Texas A&M’s COVID-19 response, please visit the University’s COVID-19 website. For COVID-19 employment-related information, please visit the Division of Human Resources and Organizational Effectiveness’ COVID-19 website.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Six years of communications and/or marketing experiences.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to use word processing, spreadsheets and database programs.
- Abilities to multi-task and work cooperatively with others.
Other Requirements or Other Factors:
- Must be able to work weekends and evenings when requested.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, or related field.
- Five years of experience writing for publication with management experience, preferably in higher education, including some supervisory experience.
- Experience writing about animals, science, or agriculture.
- Experience working with graphic artists and/or planning publications.
- Experience writing press releases, strong editing skills, project management experience.
- Experience working with student groups to assist in providing tours and help them with marketing their programs, such as an Open House.
Preferred Other Factors:
- Familiar using Google Docs for scheduling and communicating with students.
- Administration – Assists the Executive Director of Communications, Media & Public Relations in coordinating news stories with the media and the public. Helps with disseminating information to the media, the university and the college. Attends events and functions to support our media relations outreach and attends meetings as necessary. Assist Director with budget and strategic planning for each budget year.
- Project Coordination – Develops and maintains all databases for our Ambassadors, our Dean s Corner, CVM Today, News. Pet Talk column, Annual Report, Outstanding alumni awards, special projects, maintain style guides for printed materials.
- Communications – Researches and writes news releases to support and promote the priorities, programs, and achievements of the college’s faculty, staff and students. Acts as the managing editor of the college magazines, writes and designs the monthly Dean’s Corner newsletter and edits all articles for accuracy and punctuation. Serve as Public Information Officer for the Veterinary Emergency Team.
- Networking/Relationship Building – Fosters and maintains relationships with other communications personnel throughout the university, community and state. Track all news coverage, respond to media requests, escort media when they come to campus.
- Supervision of the ambassador Program – The position is the supervisor for 20 or more student ambassadors. Training, setting up tours, organizing their work schedules, editing and coordinating the college blogs, writing and editing the training manual, managing large organizational tours for the dean, and setting up training programs with faculty for student awareness of all tour locations and the work that goes in the hospital and educational facilities. Supervises all printing operations. Performs other duties as assigned.
Instructions to Applicants: Applications received by Texas A&M University must either have all job application data entered or a resume attached. Failure to provide all job application data or a complete resume could result in an invalid submission and a rejected application. We encourage all applicants to upload a resume or use a LinkedIn profile to pre-populate the online application.
In accordance with the federal contractor vaccination mandate, specific facilities at The Texas A&M System may be considered a covered contractor workplace with covered contractor employees. Therefore, successful applicants for this position may be subject to the federal mandate to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless an approved medical or religious accommodation is in place.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
To apply for this job please visit tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.